Factory Gage Installation
The 429 CJ Cougar Option
Ford Duraspark Distributor
429 Engine Detail
Rear Sway Bar
Valve Lash Mustang Central
1971 429CJ Option
By Richard Brown and Mitch Lewis
(From the "Cougar Club of America"
Website - http://www.cougarclub.org/index.shtml)
- The 429CJ option was available for the 1971 model year only. There were
448 cars built, 47 convertibles and 401 hardtops. To date (3/01) we have 36
cars registered, 13 convertibles and 23 hardtops.
The 429CJ option was offered in two guises, J-CODE = RAM-AIR and C-CODE =
NON-RAM AIR, horsepower and torque figures were quoted the same for both
options: 370HP and 450FT/LBS. The 429-Cobra-Jet Registry was established to
document and track all 429CJ optioned Cougars.
429CJ DISTINGUISHING FEATURES.
- C or J in VIN
- All models and body styles were available with the 429CJ option
including XR7/STD convertibles and hardtops and the Cougar GT.
- All cars featured a dress up engine kit featuring "Ribbed"
aluminum valve covers, bright dipstick, oil filler cap, radiator cap and air
NOTE: bright air cleaner cover available on non ram-air equipped cars only.
- All engines featured 4 bolt main bearing blocks.
- Hurst 4speed or C6 automatic transmissions were required options (no 3
speeds). All 4 speed cars have rev limiters, C6 transmissions were a special
unit with additional clutch plates, cast iron tail-shaft and "R"
- All cars had competition suspension. Larger front sway bar, rear sway
bar, heavy duty shocks, staggered in the rear.
- Power steering equipped cars had variable ratio 20.2:1 and a power
steering cooler on 3.50 rear end ratio cars only. (power steering oil cooler
were included on some but not all 3.25 rear end ratio cars.
- Power brakes were a required option.
- All cars were equipped with 27" heavy duty radiators.
- All cars were equipped with a 720CFM Rochester/Quadrajet carb. ( Note
the 780 Super Cobra-Jet was not offered as a production option).
- "Drag pak" and "Super Drag pak" were not offered as
- Functional hood scoop was a feature of the Ram-Air option, all Cougar
GT models have hood scoops but functional only on 429 Ram-Air motor option.
- All cars were equipped with dual exhaust.
- All cars were equipped with heavy duty battery (Group 27F).
- Rear end ratios were 3.25 or 3.50 only, traction lock was optional. All
air conditioned cars required the 3.25 ratio. All cars had 31 spline rear
- Air conditioning was not offered as a production option on
- Tire/wheel options were 14x7 with either F70X14 or F70X14RWL traction
tires. 15X7 wheels with hub cap and trim ring and F60X15RWL traction tires
were an option.
- All paint and interior codes were available.